Author Topic: Washing machine repair  (Read 3819 times)

Offline LilM

Washing machine repair
« on: March 27, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
Hi all,

My washing machine has recently broken down and was wandering if anyone can recommend someone they know who can fix it without charging extraordinary call out charges!?!

Online The Dome Ranger

• Real Resident
Re: Washing machine repair
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:21:29 PM »
Depends how old it is and which block you are in...

If it is an original Whirpool (over 10 years old in some places), it will be out of warranty and you may have to face getting a new one.
Over the last few years a lot of old machines have been seen near the rubbish collection area, they have just lived their life, or been ravaged by hard water.
It's always the balance of the cost of repair of getting a new trouble-free (hopefully) one.

What sort of problem is it with the machine...not that I have any plumbing expertise.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
I'm due to replace mine.  It is 12 years old and makes an awful racket now, I cringe every time I use it!

I can't be bothered with the stress of seeking out a repair option, so replacement is the easy way out, and I can't see it being that much different in cost all things considered.

Offline LilM

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
Im in Explorers Court and it's bearly 4 years old - It is a Whilrpool.
After the last wash, there was smoke coming out of the drum with a nasty burning smell  :o

sarah8687

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
I had the same thing with my Whirlpool in Explorer's.  I called the Porter's lodge and they recommended a plumber who came out without a visit charge.  I think the washing machine had just shifted a bit which had moved the belt.  Seems to work fine now though.

Offline sm

• Real Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
AWG329 WASHER/DRYER

I had this repaired for a fixed fee ?120 from 'repaircare.co.uk'. They fixed it eventually, although they took several weeks to get parts! or so they said.
The washer dryer model above is both hot and cold fill, it draws hot water from the cylinder, most new ones are cold fill only.
Someone mentioned the washer being directly wired into the wall- no plug, being a problem. Didnt seem a problem as it was working when they finished- still is 1 year later (touch wood). I have used an electronic descaler for years and i reckon they work.

It might be worth biting the bullet, given the possible delays- there are also clauses about uneconomic repair best to talk to them before agreeing anything. I wouldnt use them again as  i had to chase them more than a few times. Plus the hassle factor- past Canning Town  to find a laundarette.