Author Topic: Rotunda!!!  (Read 938 times)

Offline first-settlers

• Real Resident
Rotunda!!!
« on: December 20, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
Here is an advert I see on Rightmove today:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/117395033#/?channel=COM_BUY

Please see the attached brochure, the rotunda is being marketed as development site with-  "Positive pre-application feedback for redevelopment of the existing site."

I was not around when the previous development was under review, just flagging up for the visibility.

Offline 586

• Real Resident
Re: Rotunda!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
This is a total disgrace.

1. Any indication of what the redevelopment intention is? Residential or Commercial?

2. Are there any details on the "positive feedback" and the source?

3. When, where and how do we object to any form of planning?

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
Sorry just saw your attachment which covers the first question.

What scope (if any) do we have to object to any redevelopment at this stage?

Offline geoffv

• Real Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
This has been tried previously and failed but the current proposal is a lot smaller.

Does the previous planning still have a thread on this site?

Where are the FirstPort staff going to sit?

Offline The Dome Ranger

• Real Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 02:43:41 PM »
Maybe they could sit in the Ambulances and the Dog Patrol vans, plenty of space there.

Offline geoffv

• Real Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 04:56:26 PM »
I thought some of those had been moved on?

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
Jeez, not again  >:(

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
All the previous posts about the last attempt are stored in this section.  A lot of the newer members may not be able to see it though. 

http://www.virginia-quay.org/Forum/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Man

• Real Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 09:35:44 AM »
i remember fighting it first time, sitting next to Peter in Cliff's house. Crazy. History repeating itself

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 01:09:19 PM »
i remember fighting it first time, sitting next to Peter in Cliff's house. Crazy. History repeating itself

Fun times.  Is there an appetite to fight it again? 

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 11:26:15 PM »
Yes 100%

Offline Mrkb

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 09:25:40 PM »
Definitely

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 10:10:23 PM »
Did anyone else receive a letter today from the developer regarding the rotunda development?

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
The developer has setup a page inviting what appears to be informal opinions via a short survey

https://rotundajamestownway.co.uk/

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 05:21:30 PM »
I?ve filled it in saying that the Rotunda belongs to the residents of the estate and Barratt Homes has no right to sell it off.  Also advised that we?ll be opposing the development. 

Does anyone know if there are any official plans in with the council yet?

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »
I haven't seen any formal planning application yet.

Someone in our building has kindly summarized the issue and drafted an objection response for those who wish to use it below:

Dear Residents of Virginia Quay

Responding to developers seeking to build a tower block on the rotunda and green space

As you may have already heard, a building developer is trying to build a tower block on the rotunda and surrounding green space, with apartments and commercial activity. You may have had a leaflet from City & Suburban and Concilio. You can find a copy of their note below.

Many residents are very concerned about this proposal, and seek your support to say NO to the proposed development. Please send your response to Consilio on brogers@conciliocomms.com  to OPPOSE the development.  A proforma response is shown below for your convenience.

This area of the rotunda, surrounding green space and wheelchair access,  is an essential part of the Virginia Quay estate, as shown in the original plans and approved by regulators. It is much part of our estate as the Jamestown Monument, or the Meridian. Now, a developer is trying to take it from us.

Previous efforts by speculators to take over the same area of the estate have been refused by planners, as it is entirely clear from the original plans that it is intended as amenity space for residents, and alongside the Thames Path.

The letter from Consilio says that the rotunda has been a marketing site and that it is "underused" and "poorly accessible". In reality, the rotunda has not been used as a marketing site for 20 years, but has been a  highly valued amenity for residents of the estate, both for the management office and for community meetings. The area is not underused, and has plenty of life in it. Consilio's description of the area is entirely inaccurate.

The proposed development is a "garden grab" on our estate. If this one goes through, it is likely that developers will have a go at the Jamestown Monument  area, the Meridian area, more and more.

We hope that you will join your voice in saying no to the proposed development.

Possible response to the developers - for you to use and adapt to your views below:

To: brogers@conciliocomms.com
Re: your proposals to overrun the rotunda and amenity space at Jamestown Way

Dear Glen Charles,

This area of the rotunda, surrounding green space and wheelchair access  is an intrinsic part of the Virginia Quay estate, as shown in the original plans and approved by regulators. Previous efforts by speculators to take over the area have been refused by planners, as it is entirely clear that it is intended as amenity space for residents, and alongside the Thames Path.

The rotunda has not been a marketing site for 20 years, but has been a highly valued amenity for residents of the estate, both for the management office and for community meetings. The area is not underused, and has plenty of life in it. Your description of the area is entirely inaccurate.

Residents are outraged at your attempt to "garden grab" our estate. There is no desire among residents to have commercial activity in the area, and no desire to harm the well laid out design on this outstanding river front.

This is an attempt to take away amenities designed for all residents of the estate. Residents will take every measure possible to save this valued area of our estate.

Regards,

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 02:17:02 PM by Peter De La Mare »

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »
Thanks.  I?ve sent a response. 

If it?s ok I?ll do a mail shot to all registered accounts with this as well.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 01:59:38 PM »
Can we check that email address please? I had a reply saying it was the wrong one.

I think it should be brogers@conciliocomms.com

Offline 586

• Real Resident
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 06:50:34 PM »
you're right apologies it should be brogers@conciliocomms.com

i tried to correct my previous post but couldn't.

Happy for an admin to amend.

I think a mailshot would be great. Thanks Peter.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:46 PM »
I had a reply from Ben Rogers.

Dear Mr De La Mare,

Thank you for your interest and response to the proposals.

The thoughts and views of those who live in and around the Rotunda building are the focal point of this stage in the proposals - we value your opinions and encourage you to engage.

Just to clarify, these proposals have not been finalised and this is not a done deal. This is a preapplication stage in which City and Suburban Ltd are offering those who are interested the chance to view our proposals, respond with their thoughts and convey what they would like to see from the area. It is the goal of City and Suburban Ltd to gain feedback from residents and those living in the area and take on board these views going forward.

Many thanks

Offline mrjelly

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 09:20:06 PM »
Apologies, I'm a YIMBY

Offline SJ

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2022, 09:32:26 PM »
I could be wrong but probably a bit pointless raising concerns with the developer or Concillio? Because they will use your objections to arm themselves with info to put forward a counter argument when they submit their application and to avoid being blind sided? Need to keep an eye out for the tower hamlets application (assume not already done?) and object at that point? But generally I?m not sure councils refuse things like this if in keeping with the development but I?m not sure what the grounds were in the past if previously rejected.

Offline MBF

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2022, 11:02:00 PM »
Email sent and questionnaire filled in.  Thanks for spearheading this, keep it up!

And once the application to the council goes in (which no doubt it will), please send the link again so we can individually raise objections.

Cheers!