Author Topic: Intercom system  (Read 129 times)

Offline SJ

Intercom system
« on: November 30, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Hi
I wanted to ask how landlords are dealing with the intercom system - having to supply a phone number to register with the system . I have provided tenants with a mobile phone (permanent phone that stays in flat) with a PAYG sim but at some point the numbers stop working eventually  (because not being used presumably  and number gets cancelled by sim provider after a number of months ) and then have to re-register a new number which costs 32 each time!
Would like to hear what others are doing?
Thanks

Offline Fizz

Re: Intercom system
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm not sure what most do, I assume they make the tennant pay the 50 admin fee

Offline The Dome Ranger

• Real Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »
Which block or blocks are they operating this system of charging in?

Offline Fizz

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 06:17:40 PM »
Certainly Wotton and I think Studley.  Can't comment on the rest. It will be any block where dialling the flat number at the front door rings a phone number than using the old intercom that was in the flat. I recall when it was introduced they said it would be a 50 cost to change the phone number that is dialled, hence the recommendation to keep a mobile solely for this purpose.

Offline Christopher Newport

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
Some networks' sim cards expire after a longer time than others. Maybe if you kept data turned on on mobile the phone would use a small amount for it's system services and stop the card expiring? Otherwise I suppose sending one text every e.g. 6 months or so could stop it expiring.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry