Author Topic: Who still uses this forum?  (Read 658 times)

Offline haigezzz

• Real Resident
Who still uses this forum?
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:45:27 AM »
Hello,
Just want to check if this forum is still the main platform thee residents used? or is there any new platform like  residence whats app group?

cheers

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
Re: Who still uses this forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Hi Haigezzz

Since the beginning of the year there have been 40 or so members visiting.  I canít really tell how often they visit however. 

If youíd like to set up a Whatsapp Group then Iíll happily send an email to all members with the link to it. 

Peter.

Offline The Dome Ranger

• Real Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »
A WhatsApp Group would be great for fairly immediate communication and this site, although it can be clunky and old fashioned, is a good reference tool.

The First Port site is useful for somethings too, though I don't know how many use it even though it has account details on it.

And now there's the new Pharos Management site as well - the Resident's Portal

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Not heard of the Pharos Management thing, Iíll check it out. 

As for this old fashioned and clunky site, anyone is welcome to take it over and modernise or suggest an alternative and implement it.  There was someone a few years ago that was going to produce a shiny new site for us, but I canít recall who it was, obviously didnít go anywhere. 

Offline haigezzz

• Real Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »
many thanks for setting up this. I do not have any problem with the forum. Just do not know how many people knew here. It seems very quiet...  i got another flat nearby. there is a very active resident association. it helps to review the service charge, report the problem etc.

Offline Mrkb

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »
Not heard of the Pharos Management thing, Iíll check it out. 

As for this old fashioned and clunky site, anyone is welcome to take it over and modernise or suggest an alternative and implement it.  There was someone a few years ago that was going to produce a shiny new site for us, but I canít recall who it was, obviously didnít go anywhere.

I agree. I have found this forum to be useful for reference.  The pharos site seems to do exactly nothing, from what I can see when I logged in after setting up my account

Offline first-settlers

• Real Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »
Peter, Thank you for continuing to run this site.
The numbers maybe down for now, but first sign of a local issue and the residents would come crowding back! perhaps we need to print flyers and post around concierge etc. for creating awareness among the new members of the Virginia Quay family?

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 07:56:00 PM »
Flyers could be a good idea, itís been a long time since there was a campaign as such.   I could always email all registered users with the Facebook link and a reminder that this forum still exists. 

Offline mrangry

• Real Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
Thanks Peter for all your hard work on the site, I do think a bit of advertising in some form would be a good idea (sadly haven't got any brilliant ideas at the moment) as loads of tenants seem to be blissfully unaware of this very useful facility.
Tim

Offline DesertRosie

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 06:33:28 AM »
Thank you for all you are doing to keep this forum going - it's a wonderful site for finding latest VQ news and recommendations. I wonder if you should consider supplementing it with a FaceBook group (private) just for VQ residents to comment & contribute on live matters. I've never understood why we don't have our own "Residents Association" so this forum is really the only voice we have - so thank you!

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
Thank you Rosie.  There is actually a Facebook group for VQ.  Pretty quiet though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/virginia.quay/?ref=share

There was a RA for the whole estate, it was extremely hard to set up, took 3 attempts, and then collapsed after a year or so.

Setting up a RA for individual blocks is the way to go, as Settlers Court has done. 

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
Thanks Peter for all your hard work on the site, I do think a bit of advertising in some form would be a good idea (sadly haven't got any brilliant ideas at the moment) as loads of tenants seem to be blissfully unaware of this very useful facility.
Tim

The eternal issue.  Few of the residents are owner occupiers I think, and this is part of the reason why not enough people care about our community. 

Offline Fizz

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
Seems like worth a try, we've got nothing to lose

Offline BuOph

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »
Thank you Peter for this forum. I find this forum useful.
I agree with you Peter, the sense of community isn't what it could be, probably it is because of the low percentage of owner occupiers. It would be interesting to find out what is the percentage. I'm an owner occupier and personally would like to see a closer and more connected community.
Novi

Offline G-Man

• Real Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »
Peter - thanks for maintaining this forum. I still find it very useful. Why change a recipe that works. At least here there is a historical memory and data in sections. Whatsapp good for notifications but no history really...

Offline mrangry

• Real Resident
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
Peter, have you tried to get Firstport to sponsor you in some way, maybe get integrated into their comments section, that way tenants might get to become aware of the sites existence. Just a thought and of course there is the danger that they would try to influence you with fabulous gifts (can't have that eh)
Tim

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
Peter, have you tried to get Firstport to sponsor you in some way, maybe get integrated into their comments section, that way tenants might get to become aware of the sites existence. Just a thought and of course there is the danger that they would try to influence you with fabulous gifts (can't have that eh)
Tim

I think they hate the idea of the residents being able to collaborate and/or formalise any actions.  I got a couple of emails from Ashley asking me to remove stuff in the past.  I ignored them all. 

Iím sure they read this page anyway, which is why there are secret bits that need special membership rights to be able to view.  They havenít been used in a very long time though.

Offline G-Man

• Real Resident
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Spot on Peter

Offline ksjw88

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 02:21:35 PM »
 :)