Author Topic: Building insurance  (Read 188 times)

Offline mrangry

• Real Resident
Building insurance
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »
As a very long-time flat leasehold owner in Susan Constant Court I have just had to renew my contents insurance and it came to my notice that the standard contents policy doesn't cover fixtures and fittings i.e. Kitchen, Bathrooms, internal walls, windows etc., it would seem that these policies are designed for tenants not owners of leasehold policies. I know that a freeholder building insurance policy would normally be a requirement of the mortgage company and that it would have the option to cover these things, but I'm still not sure if this option to cover fixtures and fittings was selected by Firstport, I confess that it was all so long ago that I moved in that now I have no mortgage and very little knowledge of insurance policies. I've emailed them and hopefully I'll soon be a bit wiser.

Offline mrangry

• Real Resident
Re: Building insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
A bit wiser now, my enquiries started at Firstport and over the phone I asked if fixtures and fittings where covered by the buildings policy and was assured that they were. Then I was passed via email to the insurance division of E&M who sent me a copy of their buildings policy documents which I have to admit were a bit legalese and so not very useful, however I am encouraged by the immediate positive Firstport response.
I don't know if the fixtures and fittings (kitchens, bathrooms, walls etc.) are an option that buildings insurance policy holders can de-select or not, but surely this question must run through the minds of a lot of leasehold flat owners.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
Re: Building insurance
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
Thanks for the info and update. I didnít realise either.