Author Topic: Come on in, don't be shy !! Introduce yourselves.  (Read 48491 times)

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
Come on in, don't be shy !! Introduce yourselves.
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:08:39 PM »
Hi everyone.   I can see we have some new members, so please don't be shy and let us know who you are and your thoughts.

Of course, you can just lurk as that is allowed also.   But it would be more productive if we all joined in.

Offline Paul

• Real Resident
Re: Come on in, don't be shy !! Introduce yourselves.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »
Just a quick note to say hello.  This proposed overdevelopment is plainly unacceptable profiteering, so if I can email anyone or sign anything (other than the names on the note that came 'round), do let me know.  Unfortunately I am not around much, so I doubt I will make it to meetings.

I did wonder when I read the note whether it would be possible to look through the land registry or similar to find out the superior leaseholders and get in touch with them directly - I suspect that all of the sub-tenants in Virgina Quay couldnt care less about this and are unlikely to pass the note on.  Unfortunately I dont know much about this stuff - I'm sure someone has thought of this already in any case.

Regards,

Paul
Flat 9 Adventurers Ct.

Offline Local Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »
Hi all.  Have just joined tonight after receiving the recent letter concerning the proposed new development.  I'm keen on finding out what goes on with the RA and keeping this place great.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »
Hey guys, welcome to the VQ forum.   ;)

Things are progressing well.   I received a copy of a letter from our local MP to the planning officers yesterday stating the opposition to the scheme.

More things are happening in the background as well.   All the juicy bits are in the secret Barratt free forum, but in order to access it we'll just need to verfiy that you are residents.   Come along to the next meeting if you can, Sunday.

Offline clancy_j

• Real Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi folks! I have just been granted access to the Barratt-free zone and I can confirm it's as easy as getting Peter to confirm that you are a bona-fide resident. Also can rarely make weekend meetings, so have to send my apologies, but good luck to all who turn-up, and I hope the gathering of support continues

Offline Nigel A Clark

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 07:39:31 PM »
Fellow Owners,

I am the owner/landlord of 27 Jamestown Way and have heard with a mixture of anger/indignation about the outrageous plans of Barratts.?I am sorry that I have not attended any meetings but I live in West London and I am often away at weekends.

I have looked back at the paperwork on my purchase file and have found the following:

1. The Map/Plans of the plot I purchased?are dated 7 April 1998 and show the entire Virginia Quay (Brunswick Wharf) development. The plans show clearly areas which will be the subject of future development by specific use of the term "Future Development"and they seem to relate to those blocks of flats within the Newport Avenue boundaries . The Rotunda is not described as an area which will be the subject of future development.

2. The copy of the Barratts brochure has a computer generated impression of the "stunning townhouses" at Virginia Quay. The impression looks south up the row of houses and shows The Millenium Dome in the distance. It does not show any block of flats in the way. By the same token, I have another Barrats brochure which is similar to the Land Registry map referred to in 1 above and it too shows areas which will be the subject of Future Developments - the Rotunda area is not one of them.

Finally, my wife and I distinctly remember asking the sales staff at the VQ site about the Rotunda and they said that it was going to be a sales office or relaxation area for residents - never any question about it being another block of flats.

One of my tenants is an Australian and she tells me that in such situations in Australia they commission a surveyor to estimate the value of properties with and without the development. Obviously, if the survey shows a reduction in value, one can point to economic as well as the other losses that residents have already highlighted.

Nigel Clark

Offline cliff prior

• Real Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:29:40 AM »
Many thanks Nigel, those are very helpful comments.
We may well need a copy of that brochure as evidence, so hang on to it! I think we have the April 98 plan already in the files frrom the planning office.
Best wishes
CLiff

Offline Cain

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 06:30:49 PM »
Hi,

Have just joined after seeing the URL on the door of the porter's office.  If all goes well I'll be moving into Bridge Court in the very near future  ;D

I've had a look at the plans -it seems a little crazy to put a block of flats in that little space.  Not really sure how it's going to affect me from way over in Bridge Court but best of luck with opposing the development!

-Cain

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 06:39:13 PM »
Hey Cain, welcome to the forum and to Virginia Quay in due course.   ;)

Did you sign the petition?   It'll affect everyone as that area is an important amenity for us the residents, and if they get away with this one, they'll carry on developing every single square inch of the estate utill it resembles a ghetto !   No doubt they are already eyeing up the car park of the still-born restaurant.   >:(

When are you expecting to move in?

Offline Cain

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:58:51 PM »
Looking to move in around the end of April - just popped by today to check out the area and discovered the notice stuck on the porter's door.

If I'm visiting again any time soon I'll try and come sign the petition :p

Offline mp

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:35 PM »
Hi guys,

I've been here in Settlers Court since June last year. The first I heard of this development was when someone came by to deliver a leaflet this evening. I always wondered what the rotunda building was supposed to be for - it was always locked when I went by! I'm also intrigued by this talk of a restaurant? The lack of facilities around here is unfortunate. Same goes for the lack of any real communal areas or a residents association. Surprised I didn't get notification of the planning application actually, as it's only down the road and would definitely obstruct my view. I can only assume the irony of the picture captioned 'View towards river along Jamestown Way' in the application is unintentional! I'm only renting, but would like to stay in touch with what's happening.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
Hi MP, welcome to the forum.  :)

I'm not surprised that this is the first you have heard of the plans, Barratt or the council aren't exactly proactive in coming forward!

It would be great if you could send a letter of objection to the coucil and also sign the petition that's making it's way around.   There's also a petition form in the porters hut if you miss our colleague who is knocking on doors.     There is also the chance to sign up for a Residents Association going around.  This is the 3rd attempt to do so after Peveral 'lost' the list of names collected one the first two tries ! 

Offline sm

• Real Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 06:12:11 PM »
Hi, Thanks for setting up the forum. Also the petition.

Doesn't seem sensible to add to the density on this development at all.
Im not sure of the density of population which is deemed reasonable by planners in Tower Hamlets but i understand it is already very high, we must surely be beyond reasonable.

Must be some relevnat ONS stats somewhere.

Issues of concern seem to be those with any overdevelopment 1) Ongoing Car Parking issues  without any extra parking provision, 2) Noise issues, 3) Light issues  and 4) Security issues.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
Hi SM, welcome to the forum.  :)

Believe it or not, but the VQ density is only around half as dense as Goverment rules allow !!  :o    This is due in part to the Townhouses and their gardens, and the low rise blocks along Jamestown Way.   But, having said that it's not our fault that Barratt decided on building townhouses and low rise flats at the time.  The point is that the area on the ground is actually dense which is the important part, not so much above ground in the form of towers as we can't walk around 300 feet in the air !  :D

Our main argument is the loss of the (scarce) amenity and the betrayal of trust along with the parking/light/noise etc.

We are now over 200 signatures on the petition, and quite a few letters of objection.   If anyone hasn't sent in a letter of objection, please could you do so asap!   ;)

Offline pd_wottoncourt

• Real Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Hello Chaps,

We've recently purchased at Wotton Court. The new building is a farce and needs to be stopped.

regards,

paul

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 09:08:44 PM »
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

There is still time to send a letter of objection into the council as we have until the 20th April.

There are 38 flats there, so 38 letters would certainly help!   ;)

Offline Cain

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:05:14 PM »
Can I do it via email?  If so I'll send today!

Offline cliff prior

• Real Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
Yes, on dr.developmentcontrol@towerhamlets.gov.uk
We are now technically beyond the deadline but they told me they still accept entries for a while after
Regards
Cliff

Offline The Master

• Real Resident
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi,
I've been living in Studley Court for nearly 7 years and whilst I can say I like living here, VQ has deteriated over the years.

Considering how much the service charge is I dont think the carpets have been replaced in Studley Court since I moved in, bearing in mind there have been 3 episodes of water damage over the last 4 years (I've had my Hall floor replaced 3 times!!!) I would have thought these would have been replaced along with the walls being repainted.

The street lighting towards the DLR (beside Budgens) is poor and has anyone been approached for money by some guy hanging around near the shop exit??.

The good news I hear is that rairisng bollards will be put in place, just in time before the weather gets better and all those annoying late night groups decend on VQ and have their all night parties!!.

Ok thats me introduced, well more of a whinge actually.

Kind regards....

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
Hi Ricky, welcome to the forum.   8)

Yes, I've also seen a deteriation over the last 8 years or so that I've been here.

Fortunately the soon-to-be Residents Association should be able to start reversing that trend.

The bollards should also have an impact.

Here's hoping.  :)

Offline pp599

• Real Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »
Hi there!!

Bought my Studley court flat nearly 2 years ago now and wish to thank the person responsible for the note on the notice board! Think a forum like this is a great idea for residents!!

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
Hi 'PP'

I guess that isn't your real name.   :D

Welcome to the VQ forum.

That's Mr Spenceley who put the notice up.   8)

Offline maxeh

• Real Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »
Is the residents association for all in VQ, or is it excluding those under Toynbee freehold?

Offline cliff prior

• Real Resident
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »
Hi there, so far the VQRA is just for the flats and houses on Jamestown Way and Pilgrims Mews. Hoping to extend later, but it relies on each block getting 60% of residents signed up. As I understand it, Toynbee already have their own tenants association arrangements. Hope that helps

Offline matteh

• Real Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
aww that's a shame - us Toynbee lot need a bit of say over what goes on in and around the buildings..!

Hi.. I'm Matt by the way...   that's me introduced! :D
--
Matt Atkinson

Offline thecal

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
Hi,

This is a great idea! I've been looking for something like this...

I'm Calum.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »
Hey Calum, welcome to the VQ forum.

Hope you find it useful.

Offline sarah8687

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
Hi,

Guess I'd better introduce myself properly, I'm Sarah and have recently bought a flat in Explorer's Court.  I'm moving in at the end of June.  I'm looking forward to living in a nice place with hopefully minimal scummy people.  I'm moving from Stratford and cannot wait to escape that hellhole!

Sarah x

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum.

Does the phrase 'out of the frying pan into the fire' mean anything to you?   :D

Only kidding, I hope that this area is much nicer than Stratford.

Not that we don't have the odd anti-social behaviour now and then, and improvements are being made, slowly. 

Offline docklands_ant

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi - Antony, moved into Switch House about 2 months ago with my best mate.  This forum was recommended to me by another user, so thought I'd give it a go.

Cheers,
Ant

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
Hi Anthony, welcome to the forum  ;)

Offline T

• Real Resident
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:45 AM »
Hi everyone

I've just moved into JW, wondered if there was a mailing list for the residents association? how often do you meet and when's the next one?

Peter - this site is great. Thanks for setting it up and looking after it!

Tung

Offline sextons quay

• Real Resident
hello!
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 10:46:20 AM »
moved in to sexton just over a month ago, but only just got the internet working! well, nice to meet you all on this great forum. i look forward to taking a positive role in our local community. and thanks peter for going to the effort for this.

Offline matteh

• Real Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »
Morning Sextons Quay, Welcome to Sexton Court.  I guess somewhere we're neighbours as I'm in Sexton Court also! :)

--
Matt Atkinson

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 10:49:55 AM »
Hi Chaps, welcome to the forum.   Hope you enjoy visiting and can contribute.   :)

Offline himan_shah

• Real Resident
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
Just noticed, the forum membership has reached the magical 100 mark!

Peter, thanks for being the architect of this great forum.  This forum has come a long way in inspiring a sense of community spirit among residents.

Could I request forum members to spread awareness about this forum in their respective apartment blocks. Kindly excuse me if this has already been done.  For eg.  Rick did a great job in posting information about this forum on the Studley Court notice board and also dropping leaflets in everyone's mailbox.  It has really improved involvement of Studley residents on community issues. 

Offline Yin

• Real Resident
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 05:48:28 PM »
I agree! Thanks Peter.

I never knew what was happening in this area until I saw this website.

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 05:50:15 PM »
Hey, you're right.... we have reached a milestone.    8)

Thanks everyone, for making it a success.   :)

timxd22

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »
Hi there Been renting at wingfield court since 2006 purchased in 2007 - didnt even realise this website existed till I found it online today trying to find a number for the porters lodge! (got it from peverel in the end)

so whats going on with the building on the river front directly down from budgens? - i heard some footballer is turning it into a flat/flatss - thought it might have made a good bar or restaurant location - shame we dont have anything like that nearby?

Anyway Hi I'm Tim  :D

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »
Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum.

I think you are the first from Wingfield Court, or at least the first I'm aware of.     

The Wotton Court building is converting the still-born 'restaurant' into more apartments.

It's discussed briefly in this thead http://www.virginia-quay.org/Forum/index.php?topic=170.0   and others.

The site was empty since the block was built, Barratt wanted ?1m a year in rent, which we all know was purposely high so no one would want it and they'd be able to build more apartments over time.

Offline delboy

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
Stumbled across this forum today. I now live in Vancouver, Canada but still own an apartment in Studley Court.
At last I can keep tabs with what's going on at VQ. Is the residents association up and running yet?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:21:14 PM by delboy »

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi Delboy.  Welcome to the VQ forum.   :)

The RA is still being formed.

Actually, Studley Court is in the middle of getting all their residents signed up!   Has your tenant told you that they'd received RA forms recently? 

Offline delboy

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 09:23:24 PM »
Hi Peter,
I haven't heard from my tenants and I don't expect my property manager will forward any info to me either. Who should I contact to get the forms to sign up?

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »
Delboy, I'll let them know you're registered here, they'll contact you to organise this.    ;) :)

Offline QForum

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
Hi Peter

I did get the residential forum letter ages ago in Studley court introducing the forum. Not heard anything since.
I am also a long timer (>6years) in the virginia quay development and surprised at how long it has taken the area to form a forum.
Very keen to see some progress on this and see how the area can be improved. I agree on the high service charges we have paid over my time at the development and have to be honest not really seen any benefits. Do believe we can do more to imrprove the security around the area, agree that lack of lights near budgems is a issue.
More publicity of this residential forum would be great. When are the meetings held? as it would be nice to meet some long timers on the development. Would be nice to build a community here as I have been to other newer developments eg woolwich arsenal barrats and their residential forum is quite good and very active.
Apologies if I just have not heard about anything that has been happening in virgina quay.
I am also happy to sign any petition that would help our development.
Look forward to hearing more.
Thanks

Offline Peter De La Mare

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
Hi Q

Welcome to the VQ forum   :)

I'm very happy to hear your positive comments  8)

There have been 3 attempts over the years to create a Residents Association, but for one reason or another (usually POM) they've not been successfull.

This 3rd attempt is looking pretty good though, just the last final details being sorted, namely involving the freehold houses not being allowed to vote on service charge matters, even though we pay a variable service charge like everyone else does, though smaller.

There is a long list of items that the RA are waiting to be able to act upon, but until it's totally official there isn't much it can do.   Once SC is onboard as well a lot more should be possible.

The members of the RA did have a summer party in the Belvedere in August which was successful.   I'm positive that next year will see, finally, some real action and improvement in our community and matters concerning security etc.   Actually, there's already been an improvement in security and a reduction of anti-social incidents as mentioned by many residents, especially along the front.    Also, most of the residents who live along Pilgrims Mews and Jamestown Way know each other, or at least nod or wave acknowledgment when seeing each other.   The work that Ricky Spencely, Himan Shah and Colin Jamieson are doing in Studley Court will hopefully result in the same spirit.

Any pertinent news on anything will be sent out as a newsletter to all members here.    There is also a residents' only  section of this forum that members I've met can have access to.  The reason for the 'face to face' requirement is due to the Barratt/POM content and also all the info and strategy that we used against Barratt's plans to develop the Rotunda is in there.

Offline ekxt

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
Hello! and Happy New Year!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for having put together this forum.

I've recently moved to Studley Court (or shall i say the problematic court after all the problem i've read in the threads!) and I'm still trying to figure things out about VQ.
For one, I am constantly puzzled about the state of all communal areas and the upkeep of the whole development. Is there a cleaning/management company in place? I realise that people are not doing their bit quite often but I'm pretty sure that in the month i've been here our floor has not been cleaned at all.

Also, any idea whether the entryphone system is working? We live in the second lot of studley court (closer to the water) and the entryphone of this door is not responsive (strangely, the first door one is working fine).

Thank you all for your time.
Eleana

Offline himan_shah

• Real Resident
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
Hi Elana,

Welcome to Studley Court! 

I have seen food particles (and what not!) lying around in the lift for days at end which does question the quality and timeliness of the cleaning. 

More importantly calls into question the behavioural habits of people living here  - I fail to understand why people cannot hold off disposing rubbish in the lift.  I have seen pets in the building although the leasehold agreement clearly prohibits pets.  On more than one occassion, I have seen a family feeding food stuff to their toddler in the lift who drops more stuff in the lift than what he eats and the parents not caring about the state of the lift they leave behind!  I have given visible indications of my displeasure but either these guys don't get it or could not be bothered!

We are trying to get Studley court added to the VQRA residents association, so we can better address common issues. You will see a form your mailbox shortly.

Regards

Himanshu

Offline ekxt

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
Dear Himanshu,

We've found the form for the VQRA and were quite pleased! We should have it back to you within the next couple of days.

Good work for everyone that's already been spending their time on getting this together!

Regards,
Eleana

Offline Glen

• Real Resident
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
Just a quick note to say hello.

My name's Glen and I moved into Wotton Court (renting) in June 2009.

Glen  :)